Covid 19 (Coronavirus)
The Coronavirus is obviously dominating the news and we have been issued with guidance. It is important that any response is proportionate and that we do not cause worry or anxiety for the children. Public Health England advises that the risk to individuals in the UK remains low.
Please ensure your child washes their hands before they leave home.
In school Pupils, students, staff and visitors will
- Wash hands when they arrive at school
- Wash their hands after using the toilet
- Wash hands after breaks and sporting activities
- Wash their hands before eating any food, including snacks
- Wash hands before after school clubs or leaving school at the end of the day.
Other guidance includes
- encouraging your child to cover their mouth when they cough or sneeze with a tissue, then throw the tissue in a bin. The official slogan is Catch it, bin it, kill it but we think that Catch it, bin it will suffice.
- avoid touching your eyes, nose, and mouth with unwashed hands
- avoiding close contact with people who are unwell
- cleaning and disinfecting frequently touched objects and surfaces
Advice for those who have travelled recently
Yesterday, the Chief Medical Advisor for England, Chris Whitty updated advice for travellers returning to the UK from specific areas affected by COVID-19, which you can find at:
If you have returned from the following specific areas since 19th February, you should call NHS 111 and stay indoors and avoid contact with other people even if you do not have symptoms:
- Specific lockdown areas in Northern Italy (see link to maps below)
- Special care zones in South Korea (see link to maps below)
- Hubei province (returned in the past 14 days – see link to maps below)
If you have returned from the following areas since 19 February and develop symptoms, however mild, you should stay indoors at home and avoid contact with other people immediately and call NHS 111:
- Northern Italy (defined by a line above, and not including, Pisa, Florence and Rimini – see link to maps below)
If you have a cough, or fever or shortness of breath and have visited any of the following areas in the last 14 days, stay indoors and call NHS 111 informing them of your recent travel:
- China, apart from Hubei province (see link to maps below)
- Republic of Korea, apart from special care zones (see link to maps below)
- Hong Kong
Maps showing affected regions of China, Republic of Korea and Italy https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/covid-19-specified-countries-and-areas
Where to find the latest information - Public Health England blog:
Thank you for your continued support. If you have any queries, please contact the school office.
Garratt Park School